From the outset, the School’s aim was to have a building that provided it with a new contemporary public frontage as well as create a dynamic teaching environment.
The new Creative and Performing Arts Centre at Sidcot School is located within the existing school campus close to the busy A38 and brings together specialist facilities for the teaching of Art, Drama and Music. The departments are interlinked over two storeys with generous circulation routes to provide internal and external display and performance spaces. All areas are fully accessible.
The new facilities have been developed to encourage use by local community groups and a separate, distinct visitors’ entrance allows management of the centre for holding public exhibitions etc. Accommodation includes separate drama and music performance spaces each with an audience of 100 using bleacher seating, music practice rooms, 6 art studios, classrooms, recording studio, offices and toilets.
The whole scheme is underpinned by the client’s desire to create a stimulating learning environment that is fully accessible and based on high quality, sustainable construction.
Key environmental benefits include:
- Super-insulated external fabric incorporating newspaper insulation within a ‘breathable’ composite construction ensures energy consumption is reduced whilst air quality is high
- High levels of controlled natural lighting to all key teaching spaces provide a stimulating learning environment
- Passive ventilation to all key teaching spaces incorporating acoustic attenuation that keeps road traffic noise to a minimum
- The use of recycled and/or recyclable materials wherever possible such as timber cladding, rubber floor and roof finishes
- The use of air source heat pumps to serve the underfloor heating system incorporated throughout the building ensures a constant even temperature using a ‘green’ energy solution.