This very successful multi-use drama facility at The Kings of Wessex Academy is located within the existing school campus which forms part of an Ancient Scheduled Monument.
The new performance centre building consists of two interlinking teaching studios which combine to form one large performance theatre (‘The Kings Theatre’) with an audience capacity of 200. The division between studios is achieved by a full height movable acoustic screen wall. The accommodation also includes green room, offices, generous foyer, toilets and central room. Integrated state-of-the-art lighting and audio systems combine with the carefully engineered internal acoustic finishes.
Externally, the elevational design incorporates a curved aluminium roof and eaves that are reminiscent of cinematic forms providing the new centre with a strong visual identity.
Key environmental benefits include:
- High levels of thermal insulation
- Evenly distributed natural lighting to both studios using clerestory glazing
- Controlled passive ventilation to both studios incorporating ‘wind-catcher’ terminals with acoustic attenuation working in tandem with automatic opening windows
- The use of recycled or recyclable materials wherever possible such as aluminium roof cladding, solid core laminate wall cladding
- High efficiency boiler to serve the underfloor heating system